Spring Break Sale - Limited Time Learn More
Spring Break Sale - Limited Time

Limited Time Offer

We are currently offering special Spring Break discounts!

Prices reflect the discounted prices and is automatically applied during checkout.

The discounts offered at this time are not applicable towards past purchases or pending balances.

DoctorPup Complimentary Service

Helpful Videos, Forum Q&A, Articles and more

DoctorPup Logo

Nutrition

Food Causing Changes in Stool?

May 18, 2014, 8:32 PM
Q: Our 6 mth Havanese finished her Royal Canin mini puppy food last week and I proceeded to give her the x-small Royal Canin puppy food. The last three days she has had one stool in the morning and around 8PM has 5 or 6 at one time ! Also 3AM has to go again. She was not like this before. She is fed twice a day, 7:30AM and 5PM. What food would you suggest, preferably grain free and what is causing this enormous stool output?
A: If the change in food is responsible for the changes in her stool there are two possibilite. First, any change in diet can lead to a change in the chemistry (esp pH) of the GI tract which results in a shift in the bacterial balance, this can take a week or two to settle downnnn. Second there may be more fiber in the new food which leads to higher stool volume. It's not clear if there has been a change in the charaxter of the stool,ie softer, mucus, diarrhea, etc. If the stool is normal in character I would go back to the other food for a week or so and see if the stool changes with it, iif it does not you may want to get her stool checked by your vet. I assume she has been previously checked and is on a monthly parasite prevention product. Please send any other questions or clarification through the forum.